Friday, May 29, 2020
Travel Blurbs


Like what you see? Share it with your friends!
Visit Us
Follow Me
Reading Time: 6 minutes

So my interview date FINALLY came! I arrived in Yonkers, New York around 2 am. At this point, I had approximately 3 hours of sleep. Between practicing my interview questions and doing nosey investigative searches for expats who already worked for the company I’m surprised I even got 3 hours. I drug my feet to my uncle’s apartment where I double, triple, and quadruple checked all of my documents. I made sure my CD worked on multiple computers. I laid out my clothes so that I wouldn’t leave anything. After about 2 hours of preparing, I forced myself to go to sleep. My alarm clock BLASTED in my ear around 6:15. With no time to press the snooze button, I hopped up, took a shower and attempted to tame this hair of mine. Now I’m not sure how many other naturalista’s I have out there but if you are one then you can understand the struggle of taming the hair. I had already made up my mind that I would slick it up in a bun (I didn’t want my massive fro to distract the interviewers) but ooooof course my hair wouldn’t slick down, I  left my gel in North Carolina!! So I moved to plan B….2 flat twist, simple enough right? NEGATIVE. After twisting one part of my hair I realized  I had no bobby pins to secure my hair UGGGGHHHH why me!!! Looking at the clock I realized it was 7:00!! I needed to be there by 7:45 and there as no telling how traffic would be. After all of that, I just decided to fro it out. If they couldn’t handle my fro now they definitely won’t be able to handle it abroad.
I finally made it to The Westin in Times Square at 7:45. On my way to the meeting room, I got lost and met 2 other ladies that were both heading to the same meeting space as myself. Both were Teach Away candidates.
Teach Away is the recruitment company that I applied for my position through.
When I finally got to the room I found a seat and started reviewing. We had to wait while the tech guys set up the video of our debriefing. This took over an hour!! Finally, we got started with debriefing where we got some really vital information. Around 10 am debriefing ended and the roll was called. Footprints candidates were taken out while the teach away folks stayed in the Palace room. Once everyone got back together and people were called for their interview everyone began chatting. I found out that 2 of my sorority sisters were among the group…Oooo-ooop! We chatted about the different things we heard about the agency and tried to prepare one another for the interview. I found out from my representative that I was one of the last people to be interviewed and I had about an hour and a half wait. By this point, I was nodding like a bobble head…I was sooooo sleepy. So I decided to find some food. Luckily a McDonalds was only 400 or less feet away. I order a coffee…BLACK a big breakfast with eggs a biscuit and hashbrown. I went back to the Westin and found me a table outside of the meeting room. (I wanted to be close in case my name was called.)
While stuffing my face one of my Sorority sisters walked up and talked to me about their interview. A young lady who was on the elevator with me eventually joined and we had a great conversation. We exchanged information and promised to link back up in the sandbox!! FINALLY, around 1 pm my name was called. I gathered all of my things and headed to what I thought would be the interview room. Unfortunately, I was taken to a holding space. Luckily, I met another afro queen who was from Maryland. We sat and waited while the interviewers took a break. I swear that break seemed like it lasted for-freaking-ever! But during my almost hour and a half of waiting, we meet 3 new people who talked about their interview experience. We found out that the interview would be done via Skype with 2 people on the other end. (These people were in Abu Dhabi)
AT LAST!! My time came! I was up next to be interviewed. I had found out prior to my interview that the candidate before me was also a PE teacher. I’m not 100 percent sure but I think we were the only phys ed teachers from either group. As I sat outside of the interview room I could hear the candidate before me talking. He revealed his 16 or so years of teaching experience, which I won’t lie, intimidated me. After about 5 minutes the man came out of the room. Our conversation went as follows:
Me: Done already?
Man: (Angry Tone)YES!! They wouldn’t interview me!
Me: What? why not?!
Man: They told me that they aren’t hiring PE teachers because local emirate teachers have filled the spots…they wasted my time. I flew here from Canada!!
Me: Woooow!!
So you probably can imagine my horror when I walked into the room. I was literally shaking at the thought of the interviewers turning me around. But I sat down and put a smile on my face. They kept me on mute for about 5 minutes and I must say they were the longest most agonizing 5 minutes of my life. Like I literally had to sit and watch these two people move their lips but say absolutely NOTHING to me. It was nerve-wracking, to say the least. Finally, they turned on the mic and my interview began. To my surprise, they asked me questions about my background and teaching style. My interview lasted about 15 minutes and at the end, they asked the question I had been waiting for “Do you have any questions?” immediately I said “Yes, actually I do. I wanted to know if the PE positions had been filled.” They responded, “No, the previous candidate was misinformed, we do have PE positions available.” I breathed a sigh of relief, gave thanks for the opportunity and left. My last step was to check with my representative to make sure that all of my documents were on file. Once that was complete I exited and started the next phase of this journey THE WAITING GAME. Waiting on the call…Talk about impatient.
Just call me, please

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back To Top